Keto Hot Dog Buns
When it gets stale in the kitchen, the yeast I can do is go against the grain with baking breads — and frankly, I just hope that things don’t go a rye. Kneadless to say, I gotta loaf it when an experiment works!
I was inspired to make Hong Kong style hot dog buns like 85C Bakery Cafe, but I guess you can say these are more like pigs in a blanket.
Using Scotty’s Everyday Keto Bread Mix, I added a packet of yeast, 2 tbsp olive oil, an egg, 1.25 cups of almond flour, 1/4 cup monk fruit sweetener, 1/2 tsp salt, 3/4 cup almond milk, and 1/2 cup heavy cream and mixed everything in a KitchenAid stand mixer with a hook attachment until well incorporated.
While allowing the dough to rise for a couple hours, I cooked six Hebrew National all natural beef franks, cut them in half and set them aside.
Once the dough had risen, I rolled each hot dog in the dough on a silicone sheet with a silicone spatula, gave them an egg wash and topped them with sesame seeds before baking at 375 °F for about 15 minutes.
Out of the oven, I immediately brushed them with a mixture of 2 teaspoons powdered sweetener and 2 teaspoons water to give them the classic bakery shine.
What you'll need:
Scotty’s Everyday Keto Bread Mix
1 packet (2 ¼ tsp.) active dry yeast
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 ¼ cup almond flour
¼ cup monk fruit sweetener
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup almond milk
½ cup heavy cream
6 all natural beef franks
1 Tbsp. almond milk
Sprinkling of sesame seeds
2 tsp. powdered sweetener
2 tsp. water
1. Mix dough ingredients in a stand mixer with a hook attachment until incorporated. Shape into dough and let rise for 2 hours.
2. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
3. Cut the beef franks in half. Divide the dough into 12 portions. Roll each hot dog in the dough on a silicone sheet with a silicone spatula until fully covered.
4. Mix remaining egg and tablespoon of almond milk to create an egg wash. Brush the tops of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven. Mix your remaining sweetener with the water and brush the tops with this mixture for shine. Enjoy!